I recently found these tips in a newsletter written by veteran copywriter Bob Bly.
10 Steps to Gaining Credibility in Your Field
- Write articles for trade publications.
- Join your industry’s major trade association.
- Offer yourself as an expert guest to producers, so you get interviewed on radio or TV.
- Create a content-rich Web site on your area of expertise.
- Write and distribute an online newsletter.
- Write and distribute a white paper on the topic in which you wish to be perceived as an expert.
- Get a certification or license in your field.
- Give a speech at a conference or meeting.
- Get listed in Who’s Who
- Teach a course in your specialty at a local college or adult education program.